1 kg oxtail
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
30ml (2 tbsp) cake flour
30ml (2 tbsp) Stork Baking Margarine
8 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
1 large leek or onion, coarsely chopped
2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
150g button mushrooms halved
125ml (1/2 cup) red wine
375ml (1 ½ cups) beef stock
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
15ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
PESTO SWIRLED DOMBOLO
280g (500ml) cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) instant dry yeast
5ml (1 tsp) salt
180ml (¾ cup) warm water, plus extra if necessary
20 g Stork Baking Margarine, melted
60ml (¼ cup) basil pesto
Step by step method
- Season the oxtail well with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the oxtail on all sides.
- Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the same pot and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Return the oxtail to the pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and allow to simmer over low heat for at least 3 hours or until tender.
- To make the Dombolo, place the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the warm water and STORK Bake.
- Mix to form a rough dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for about 8 minutes until smooth.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out into a large 20cm wide rectangle and spread the pesto all over the dough.
- Roll up into a large sausage and slice 2cm-thick slices.
- Arrange the slices cut-side up on top of the oxtail stew.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until puffed and cooked through.
- Serve immediately.