1 Cup (250ml) Cold buttermilk
2 Large eggs
2 Cups (500g in total) Plain or cake flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 Tbsp White sugar
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
1/4 Cup Chopped fresh parsley
5 Tbsp (100g) Stork Baking Margarine, cold and cubed
1/2 cup (125g) Grated cheddar cheese
1/2 Cup Cooked bacon, chopped
1/4 Cup Spring onion, chopped
1/4 Cup Jalapeño, sliced
Step by step method
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, grease loaf pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Whisk the buttermilk and eggs together until combined.
- In a separate, large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, sugar, salt, pepper, and parsley together.
- Add the cubed Stork Baking Margarine and mix into the dry ingredients (using your hands) until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in the cheese, bacon, spring onion and jalapeños until combined, then pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir to combine.
- Your batter should be thick, chunky, and sticky.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Feel free to lightly sprinkle with additional fresh pepper and/or cheese.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Start checking at about 47 minutes.
- Allow loaf to cool in the pan, set on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving or cool completely in the pan. Enjoy!