1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup Stork Baking Margarine
3-4 teaspoons ground dried naartjie zest
2 ½ cups flour
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
scrapings of one to two vanilla pods/1 tsp vanilla powder
1 cup milk
½ cup of castor sugar
1 teaspoon ground dried naartjie zest
Light Cream Frosting:
2 cups Icing Sugar
250g Stork Baking Margarine
5ml Vanilla Essence
Candied Citrus Pieces
Canned Citrus Fruits
Step by step method
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 160 degrees Celsius. If using a conventional oven, preheat to 180 degrees Celsius. Line muffin trays with paper cases.
- Beat sugar and Stork Bake until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the naartjie zest, sifted flour, baking powder and vanilla powder.
- Add these dry ingredients along with the milk, a little at a time to the egg mixture, until all is well combined. Pour into the paper cases.
- Combine the castor sugar with naartjie zest and sprinkle a little over each cupcake.
- Bake for about ten minutes or until done.
- Makes about 24 cupcakes (can also be baked as a loaf cake).
- Add 2 cups of icing sugar combined with 250g of Stork Bake.
- Add 5ml Vanilla essence. Add more as desired.
- Top with crushed candied citrus if desired.
- An alternative presentation if serving immediately; top with a canned mandarin segment.