Stork Baking Margarine, for greasing
1 loaf crusty sourdough, potbrood, challah or baguette (preferably stale)
8 large eggs
500ml (2 cups) milk
125ml (½ cup) cream
200g (1 cup) brown sugar
15ml (1 tbsp) ground cinnamon
30ml (2 tbsp) vanilla essence or extract
65g (½ cup) cake flour
100g (½ cup) brown sugar
5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
110g Stork Baking Margarine, cubed and chilled
Icing sugar, for dusting
Berries, to garnish
Step by step method
- Grease a large baking or serving dish (or you could use small individual servings) with a little STORK Bake.
- Slice the bread into 1cm thick slices and arrange in the dish.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla together and pour over the bread.
- Cover and allow to stand for at least 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- To make the topping, mix the dry ingredients together and rub in the STORK bake using your fingertips to form a rough crumbly texture.
- Refrigerate overnight if you’re baking the French toast the next morning.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan-forced).
- Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the French toast and bake for 55 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve warm dusted with icing sugar and fresh fruit on the side, if desired.