500g cake flour, plus extra for dusting
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
5ml (1 tsp) salt
75g Stork Baking Margarine, cubed
2 large eggs, at room temperature
300g frozen sweetcorn, defrosted
125ml (½ cup) amasi or buttermilk
Apricot jam and grated cheese, to serve
Step by step method
- Preheat the deep-fat fryer or a large pot of oil to 160°C.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and rub the STORK Bake in using your fingertips.
- Add the sweetcorn and toss through, making sure all the sweet corn is covered.
- Mix in the eggs and amasi to form a soft but sticky dough.
- Dust a surface with flour and gently pat out the dough until about 2cm thick - don’t worry if it’s sticky.
- Using a 10cm round cutter dipped in flour, cut out the vetkoek and deep fry until fully cooked through and completely golden.
- Serve immediately with jam and cheese.