500g self-raising flour
½ cup castor sugar
250g Stork Baking Margarine
1 cup chilled soda water
Milk for brushing on turnovers
Sesame seeds, as needed
3 cups desiccated coconut
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ cup nibbed almonds
Condensed milk (to bind together)
Step by step method
- Sift flour. Add sugar and rub in Stork Bake until evenly mixed.
- Make a dough with the soda water.
- Knead lightly. Break off small pieces and roll out into 10cm circles.
- Make the filling by combining the coconut, cardamom, almonds and condensed milk and mix them well.
- Place a teaspoon of coconut filling onto the rolled pastry and fold over to make a semi-circle.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Press down edges with a fork and brush the surface with milk.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over and bake for 20 minutes until lightly coloured and crisp.