625g cake flour
1 tsp salt
80ml (⅓ cup) baking powder
2 large eggs
30g Stork Baking Margarine, softened
oil, for deep-frying
6 cups sugar
3 cups water
80ml (⅓ cup) lemon juice
2 tsp cream of tartar
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
Step by step method
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Whisk the milk, water, and eggs together and add to the dry ingredients
- Mix to form a soft dough then knead thoroughly for 10 minutes, adding a little Stork Bake every now and then.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Make the syrup by combining the sugar, water, juice and cream of tartar in a large pot and stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil the syrup for 10 minutes then allow to cool to room temperature.
- Break off a fist-sized chunk of the dough and roll out into a long sausage on a lightly oil-greased surface, then using a rolling pin, roll out to about 10cm wide. Cut into 1cm strips.
- Take each strip then roll around a metal cream cone mould.
- Start at the bottom and roll it tightly around finishing at the top and pinch the ends closed. Heat the oil to 180˚C then deep-fry the koeksisters, a few at a time, turning often to brown on all sides, until golden and cooked through.
- Drain from the oil, remove the cone and immediately plunge into the room-temperature syrup, making sure to keep the koeksisters submerged so they soak up the syrup.
- Drain the koeksisters from the syrup and allow to cool. Serve with a scoop of ice cream.
- Step 1