200g Stork, softened
200g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
100ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) cocoa powder
25 ml (1 tbsp. + 3 tsp) coffee granules
100g dark chocolate, chopped
250g Stork, softened
250g icing sugar
10ml (2 tsp) caramel essence
For the filling
1 x 360g can caramel.
For the icing
100g brown sugar
125ml (½ cup) cream.
Step by step method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- Place the Stork and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Cream until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at the time while mixing.
- Lower the speed and sieve in the self-raising flour, cocoa powder and coffee granules.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Fill the cupcake holes 2/3 full.
- With the back side of a teaspoon press the batter in the middle. So that the cupcake bakes evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes turning the pan once after 10 minutes.
- Test the cupcake with a cake tester if it comes out clean it is ready.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down completely.
- Cut the top off each cupcake (keep the top) and hollow the cupcake out slightly.
- Fill the cupcake with about 2 tbsp. of the caramel and place the top back on.
- For the icing; cream the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the caramel essence and stir until well combined.
- Ladle the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- For the caramel drizzle; combine the brown sugar, Stork and cream in a saucepan over medium heat, stir until all the ingredients are dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce is thickened, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pipe the cooled cupcakes with the caramel icing and drizzle with the caramel.