3.5 lt water
1 onion, peeled and diced
15g fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
250g Stork Baking Margarine
1 kg maize meal
250g frozen mixed vegetables
150g grated cheese
Garlic, crushed (fresh) - optional
Step by step method
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In a large pot, bring 3 litres of the water to the boil, then add in onion, half the thyme (7,5g), salt, pepper and margarine.
- In a separate bowl, add the maize meal and 500 ml water.
- Stir to form a smooth paste. Drop the temperature to low.
- Once the margarine has dissolved in the boiling water, add the maize meal and stir until pap is smooth.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add in the mixed veg and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add in half the cheese and remove from the heat.
- Grease a non-stick loaf tin, add in the pap and top it off with the balance of the cheese and fresh thyme.
- Bake for 8 minutes on 180ºC or until cheese has melted and formed a crust.
- Allow to cool to set, and slice accordingly.