3 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup white flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 large egg
1 ½ tbsp Stork Baking Margarine, melted
1 tsp honey
2 cups buttermilk (a little milk can be used if more liquid is needed)
Sunflower or sesame seeds (optional)
Step by step method
- Position rack in the centre of oven and preheat the oven to 200ÂºC.
- Grease a loaf tin well.
- In a large bowl mix the flours, salt and bicarb until well mixed.
- In another bowl, stir the egg, melted Stork Bake, honey and buttermilk together until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture.
- Mix well and add a little milk to make a soft and slightly sloppy mixture.
- Pour into a greased tin and sprinkle sunflower or sesame seeds on top if desired.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour or until the bread is browned, crusty and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.