Milk Tart filling
4 ½ cups full cream milk
45ml (3 tbsp) Stork Baking Margarine, melted
3 cinnamon sticks
170g (200ml) white granulated sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
40ml (2 ½ tbsp) cake flour
40g (¼ cup) corn flour
7,5ml (½ tbsp) custard powder
300g (3 cups) cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) sugar
Pinch of salt
50g (4 tbsp) Stork Baking Margarine, melted (plus a little extra for frying)
4 large eggs, beaten
125ml (½ cup) water
500ml (2 cups) full cream milk
Step by step method
- To make the milk tart filling, place the milk in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a gentle boil. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the melted Stork Bake and cinnamon sticks.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, cake flour, corn flour and custard powder together.
- Strain the milk to remove the cinnamon sticks. Pour 250ml of hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
- Add the rest of the milk to the egg mixture and whisk until completely smooth. If the mixture does have any lumps, pass it through a sieve.
- Place the filling mixture back in the saucepan over a medium-high heat and whisk continuously until slightly thickened and the flour has cooked out.
- Take off the heat, pour into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the Stork Bake, eggs, water and milk together, then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined and all the lumps are removed. Be careful not to overmix.
- Leave the mixture to stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, this will ensure your pancakes are tender.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add a little Stork Bake to the pan. Using a small ladle, pour the batter in and swirl to coat the base of the pan.
- Once the edges begin to lift and the surface has bubbled, flip the pancake and fry until golden brown. Repeat the process until all the batter has been used.
- To assemble, place two pancakes on a cake stand and evenly spread a thin layer of milk tart filling to cover. Layer another pancake on top and repeat until the pancakes have been stacked.
- Finish the cake with the last of the milk tart filling and generously dust with cinnamon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.