Red Heart Ingredients
100g Stork Baking Margarine, room temperature
100g castor sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
120g self-raising flour, sifted
1tsp pink food colouring
250g Stork Baking Margarine, room temperature
250g castor sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
300g self-raising flour, sifted
5ml baking powder
1tsp vanilla essence
Vanilla Buttercream Icing Ingredients
240g Stork Baking Margarine, room temperature
4cups icing sugar
1tbsp vanilla essence
4tbsp milk/heavy cream
Step by step method
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream Stork Bake and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, making sure that the egg is well incorporated before adding the next one.
- Fold in half of the sifted flour, add milk, then fold in remaining flour and baking powder (only for the cupcake mixture).
- Fold in colouring and mix well.
- Grease and line a 20 x 20 cm baking tray and pour mixture into pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Once cooled, turn out onto a cutting board. Use a small heart shape cookie cutter to cut twenty four heart shapes, small enough to fit into an average sized cupcake paper liner. Set aside to use later.
- Use the same method as the heart cake to make the cupcake batter.
- Use a fine-liner pen or any other marker to draw a line across the centre of 24 paper liners from side to side and place in a muffin tray.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each paper liner; place heart into each paper liner – pointing down into batter and aligned with the pen line (sideways). Cover each heart with remaining batter and bake for 15 minutes, or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before icing.
- Beat Stork Bake for a few minutes with mixer on low speed.
- Add three cups of icing sugar and beat on lowest speed until all the icing sugar is incorporated.
- Add salt, vanilla essence and milk or cream and beat for a further 3 minutes.
- Add more icing sugar if icing needs a stiffer consistency. If it needs to be thinned out, add milk one tablespoon at a time.
- Put into a piping bag and frost cupcakes.
- Align the knife with both lines and cut cupcake in half to reveal the Hide Away Hearts!