Main Ingredient Group
500g bread flour
15g instant yeast
0.5 cup Stork Baking Margarine, diced
1 egg white (mixed with a little water)
1 Sesame seeds, if desired
Step by step method
- Mix everything together in your mixer (excluding the egg white) with a dough hook until you get a nice, really smooth dough.
- This can take a while (15 minutes, scraping down the dough every few minutes from the dough hook in the mixer).
- After it's mixed, place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat (so it won't dry out), cover then let it rise in a draft-free place until doubled in size.
- This might take as much as 2 hours since the large amount of fat will slow the rise.
- After rising, knock back the dough, cut it into about 12 equal pieces and press them fairly flat.
- Roll the dough into a round shape and place on parchment paper to rise, covered for about 45 minutes. If you want, you can instead place the filled dough balls in a lightly greased muffin tray to maintain the round shape.
- Let the dough rise in the tray until they overflow the tops a little to make the traditional 'mushroom' top.
- Preheat the oven to 185°C.
- Just before placing in the oven, brush gently with a wash of egg white and water.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you want.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn them 180°C for even baking, then bake another 10 minutes.