Chocolate Torte Ingredients
375ml castor sugar
50g cocoa powder
500g dark chocolate
250g Stork Baking Margarine
125ml coffee liquid
Orange Syrup Ingredients
150g granulated sugar
100g orange juice
1 orange, zested
1 cinnamon stick
Melkert Ice Cream Ingredients
150ml condensed milk
1 Pinch salt
19ml vanilla essence
0.5 vanilla pod, seeds
20ml Stork Baking Margarine
250ml whipping cream
125ml whipping cream
125g dark chocolate
Pecan Brittle Ingredients
125ml granulated sugar
15ml golden syrup
15ml Stork Baking Margarine
125ml pecan nuts
Sweet Pastry Ingredients
250g cake flour
100g icing sugar
100g Stork Baking Margarine, chilled
1 Pinch salt
1 Apricot jam, melted
1 Chilled water, if necessary
Step by step method
- Whisk the eggs and castor sugar together until they reach the ribbon stage.
- Melt the chocolate and Stork Bake together over a low heat in a saucepan.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, whilst whisking slowly.
- Add the coffee and mix well.
- Fold in the sifted cocoa and cornflour and mix gently.
- Pour into a 23cm tin lined with silicone paper and bake at 180°C until just firm to the touch (approximately 30 - 45 minutes).
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Allow the sugar to dissolve completely before bringing up to the boil.
- Allow to boil for about 3 minutes, before removing from the heat.
- Allow to chill in fridge before serving.
- Place 200ml of the milk and the condensed milk into a big glass bowl and heat in the microwave until just before boiling.
- In another bowl, place the egg, cornflour, salt and 50ml milk and mix together well.
- Add the egg mixture to the hot milk mixture and heat again in the microwave.
- Stir every few minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Add the Stork Bake, spices, vanilla essence and vanilla seeds and stir into the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream until firm peaks form and fold into the thickened custard mixture. Pour into suitable moulds or containers and freeze.
- Chop the chocolate and set aside in a bowl.
- Place the cream into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and leave to stand for a minute, before stirring until smooth.
- Chill until thick enough to pipe.
- Place the sugar, Stork Bake, water and golden syrup into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook until caramelised and pale golden brown.
- Add the pecan nuts and continue cooking until deep golden brown.
- Pour out onto non-stick paper and allow to harden before chopping into chunks.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Rub the Stork Bake into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs and is evenly distributed.
- Work the egg in by hand until a soft, pliable dough is formed. Add a little chilled water if the dough is too dry.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Cut out circles to fit the size of the ice cream moulds.
- Bake at 160°C until pale golden brown.
- Cool and brush with melted apricot jam.
- Cut a thin slice of the torte and pipe a swirl of ganache on top.
- Decorate with a chocolate curl if desired.
- Place the ice cream mould onto the disc of sweet pastry and then sprinkle pecan brittle over the top.
- Drizzle some orange syrup onto the plate.