600ml (1 ½ tins) coconut milk, divided
100g coconut biscuits, crushed
220g + 200g caster sugar
finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
6 large eggs, separated
90g Stork Baking Margarine, melted
70g cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
125ml (½ cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
Step by step method
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C conventional or 160˚C fan-forced.
- Sprinkle the crushed biscuits in the bottom of a 25cm pudding bowl or small individual oven-safe dishes.
- For the filling, bring 300ml of the coconut milk to a simmer and add the sago.
- Simmer, stirring every now and then for 15-20 minutes or until the sago is cooked and translucent.
- In a mixing bowl, rub 220g of the sugar and the lemon zest together with your fingertips to release the oils from the zest – it should be very fragrant.
- Add the egg yolks and beat with an electric whisk until light and creamy.
- Add the melted STORK Bake, sifted cake flour and baking powder to form a batter then mix in the remaining 300ml coconut milk, sago mix and lemon juice.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually add the remaining 200g caster sugar to form a glossy meringue.
- Place half the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Divide the rest of the meringue into two – whisk half into the lemon curd mixture then fold the rest in gently.
- Pour into the prepared dish, pipe the meringue on top in rosettes and place inside a larger roasting tin.
- Fill the roasting tin with boiling water so it comes halfway up the sides of the dish then bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top just sets – it should wiggle slightly.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly then serve warm.