Main Ingredient Group
160ml cocoa powder
5ml bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125ml Stork Baking Margarine, softened
400g dark chocolate, chopped
1 Flake or chocolate curls to decorate
1 Pipe cleaners or chocolate stick pretzels for legs
1 Sweets for eyes
400g plastic icing
1 Icing sugar for dusting
1 Green food colouring
1 Orange food colouring
Step by step method
- Grease a 20cm in diameter ovenproof glass bowl. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate and sugar into it.
- Combine the buttermilk, eggs and soft Stork Bake and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Beat with an electric beater on low speed for 3 minutes. Increase to high speed and beat for a further 3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and increased in volume. Spoon into the greased bowl.
- Bake at 180°C for 40 - 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the centre of the cake.
- Place chocolate and cream together. Heat slowly in microwave stirring every few seconds until chocolate melts and combines with the cream. Allow to cool to a spreading consistency.
- Spread with a knife to cover. Sprinkle with flake or chocolate curls. Use pipe cleaners for legs and sweets for eyes.
- You will need 400g of plastic icing.
- On a surface dusted with icing sugar colour a golf ball size piece of plastic icing in green food colouring. Cover with cling film and set aside.
- Colour the remaining icing with orange food colouring.
- Wrap in cling wrap. Make various size balls using the orange icing.
- Flatten on the top and bottom and use a toothpick to make lines around the side to look like a pumpkin.
- Use green icing for the stalk and curled wire for tendrils.
- Brush a little water on the top of the pumpkin so that the stalk will stick.