200g biscuits (eg. digestives)
75g Stork Baking Margarine
450g cream cheese
200g light brown sugar
16g vanilla extract
Step by step method
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with a loose bottom.
- Grind the biscuits finely in a food processor or with a hand blender or put them in a plastic bag, place it on the work surface and bash the biscuits with a rolling pin into fine crumbs.
- Melt the Stork Bake margarine in a large saucepan and stir in the biscuit crumbs.
- Divide the biscuit mixture evenly over the base of the prepared cake tin and press firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Grate the lemon peel thinly over a large bowl. Squeeze the lemon and add about 2 tablespoons of the juice to the zest in the bowl.
- Mix the cornflour with the lemon juice and zest in the bowl and stir in the cream cheese, brown sugar and the vanilla, using a wooden spoon or blender. Mix well.
- Separate the egg yolk and the egg white of 1 egg (this egg white is not used). Stir the egg yolk into the cheese mixture and add the other eggs one at a time. Mix well.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the base of the prepared tin. Put the tin in the preheated oven and bake for 50 - 60 minutes until the filling is just set.
- Turn the oven off, leave the oven door slightly open and let the cheesecake cool in the oven. When cold, cover with clingfilm and leave the cheesecake in the refrigerator for a day or overnight to firm up. Remove from the tin. Carefully remove the cheesecake from the base using a long thin knife. Sprinkle the cake with icing sugar and cut into 8 - 10 slices.