250g Stork Baking Margarine, softened
10ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
2 lemons, zested
450g (2 cups) caster sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
360g (3 cups) cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
2,5ml (½ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
250ml (1 cup) milk
CITRUS SPEKBOOM CURD
60ml (¼ cup) spekboom, blended until smooth
60ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
225g (1 cup) castor sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 tsp cornflour
150g Stork Baking Margarine, cold and cubed
250g STORK bake, softened
250g (2 cups) icing sugar, sifted
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
1 lemon, juiced drop of milk, if necessary
Spekboom branches and succulents, to decorate
Step by step method
- Preheat oven to 180°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease and line 3 x 17cm cake tins.
- Place the STORK bake, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment).
- Beat on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to high and beat the mixture until it is just smooth.
- Spoon mixture into the baking tins and bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in cake tin on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn out onto the wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the Spekboom curd, place the spekboom, lemon juice, eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and cornflour in a medium-sized pot and whisk to combine.
- Place over medium heat and cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick.
- Add the STORK Bake, a few pieces at a time, whisking continuously until melted.
- Continue to cook, stirring continuously, for 4–6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Decant into a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Pour into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle.
- For the icing, whip the STORK Bake in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment until very white and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar, vanilla and lemon juice and whip for 5 minutes until almost white and the icing sugar is completely dissolved (add a drop or two of milk if necessary).
- To assemble pipe rings of frosting around the edges to form circles then pipe rings of the Spekboom curd in between the frosting circles.
- Place another cake layer on top and repeat the process.
- Cover the outside of the cake with a thin layer of frosting and refrigerate until set.
- Cover the cake with another layer of frosting.
- Decorate with Spekboom and succulents as desired.