500ml cake flour
4tsp baking powder
25ml Stork Baking Margarine
1 Oil for frying
2 pieces ginger, bruised
2ml cream of tartar
1 Pinch of salt
1 Grated rind and juice of 0.5 lemon
Step by step method
For the Syrup
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Stir continuously overheat until all sugar has dissolved.
- Cover and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid and boil for another 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool thoroughly in the fridge if possible.
For the Dough
- Sift together the dry ingredients and rub in the Stork Bake using your fingertips.
- Mix with the buttermilk to form a soft dough which can be easily kneaded. Use more buttermilk if necessary.
- Knead thoroughly for about 10 minutes, cover with a damp cloth and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Roll to a thickness of 5mm and cut into 5mm strips, 70mm long. Place ends of three strips one on top of another, press together and plait. When plaited, press the ends together again.
- Deep fry in hot oil until done and golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper for a moment and then immerse in cold syrup.
- Remove from syrup and allow excess syrup to drip off.