250g all purpose cake flour
4 tsp icing sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
170g Stork Baking Margarine, cut into small blocks
3/4 cup cold water
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1.2 kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Step by step method
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add the margarine and mix until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the cold water and egg yolks together.
- Mix the wet with the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- If too wet, add some flour and if too dry, add some water.
- Divide the dough into 2 halves. Wrap and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll one half of the dough out on a floured surface and cut to fit baking dish.
- Boil the apples until soft, strain off water and cool.
- Mix cooked apples with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the mix into the baking pan, lined with the pastry.
- Roll out the other half of the pastry to fit the pan. Crimp the edges together to seal the pie.
- Cut a few slits in the pie lid to let any steam out during baking.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in oven for roughly 45 minutes until pie is golden brown.