30g cocoa powder
6 large eggs
125g Stork Baking Margarine
200g plain/all-purpose flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g frozen red berries
Fresh strawberries and raspberries
200g cream cheese
4 tbsp sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon / lime
200ml fresh whipping cream
Step by step method
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and line 3 round cake tins (23cm / 9 inches).
- Blend the cocoa powder with the hot water and set aside. Separate the eggs.
- Whisk the sugar with the egg yolks in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the Stork Bake margarine and beat the mixture once again until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, corn flour, bicarbonate and the baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites with the vanilla until theyâre stiff and fold into the batter gently.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture into one of the cake tins.
- Add the cocoa to the remaining batter, mix well and pour half of the mixture into the second tin.
- Add half of the frozen red berries to the leftover mixture and pour the remaining mix into the third tin.
- Put in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer, inserted into the middle of the cake, comes out clean (this means the cake is cooked).
- Once the cakes are cooked, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling whisk the cream cheese with the sugar, the lemon zest and the lemon juice. In a separate bowl whip the cream until well thickened and combine with the cream cheese mixture.
- To layer the cake start with the chocolate cake with the berries, spread a layer of the cream cheese filling. The second layer should be the plain sponge, add another layer of filling and sprinkle the remaining berries. On the top put the chocolate cake and cover the entire cake with the remaining cream cheese. Garnish with strawberries and raspberries.