10ml dried yeast powder
100ml lukewarm water
400g cake flour
30ml Stork Baking Margarine
45ml Stork Baking Margarine, melted
10 strong sticks (optional)
Step by step method
- Activate the yeast by mixing it with the sugar and lukewarm water, and then sprinkle some of the flour on top to stop a dry crust forming. Leave it in a warm spot for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and then rub in the Stork Bake with your fingertips.
- Beat the eggs and add to the yeast mixture.
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the egg and yeast mixture and knead well until the dough is pliable (about 10 minutes).
- Brush the dough with melted Stork Bake, place in a big bowl and cover with a damp dish cloth. Let it rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size (about 45 minutes).
- Knead the dough again to push out all the air.
- Break the dough into fist-sized balls and wrap around the end of a stick. Place in a warm place to rise again for 15 minutes and then bake on a grid over medium coals until the roosterkoek is brown all over and cooked through.
- Serve with Stork margarine.