175g white sugar
175g Stork Baking Margarine, softened
175g self-raising flour
3 large eggs
25g ground almonds
100g dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
5ml mixed spice
5ml ground ginger
100g glace cherries, quartered, washed, and dried
50ml apricot jam
1 egg, beaten
1 Speckled eggs
Step by step method
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm deep, round cake tin with baking paper.
- Measure all the cake ingredients (except the cherries) into a large mixing bowl and beat well until thoroughly blended.
- Gently stir in the cherries.
- Place half the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Divide the marzipan into three equal pieces. Take one third of the marzipan and roll into a circle the same size as the cake tin, place the circle on top of the cake mixture.
- Spoon the remaining mixture on top of the marzipan and level the surface.
- Bake for about 1.75 - 2 hours at 160°C or until golden brown and firm in the middle. If, toward the end of the cooking time the cake is getting too brown, loosely cover with a piece of foil.
- Cool in the tin before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Brush the top of the cooled cake with a little warmed apricot jam.
- Roll out half the remaining marzipan to the size of the cake and sit it on the top. Crimp the edges of the marzipan.
- Make 11 even sized balls from the remaining marzipan and arrange around the edge.
- Brush with beaten egg and glaze under a hot grill for about 5 minutes, turning the cake round so it browns evenly and the marzipan is tinged brown all over. You can also do this with a blow torch if preferred.
- Place speckled eggs in the centre before serving.