300g Stork Baking Margarine, room temperature
350g castor sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
90g nut butter (almond or peanut butter)
600g cake flour
20ml baking powder
7,5ml (1 ½ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
10ml (2 tsp) ground cardamom
10ml vanilla essence or extract
375g Stork Baking Margarine, at room temperature
750g icing sugar
80ml nut butter, almond or peanut
185ml cocoa powder, sifted
Black gel food colouring
Edible gold leaf, burfee and coloured almonds, to decorate
Step by step method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line 3 x 20cm round cake tins.
- Using an electric stand mixer, cream the STORK Bake and sugar until light in colour - about 8 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time with a teaspoon of cake flour to prevent curdling. Beat well after each addition.
- Combine the wet ingredients and vanilla essence in a jug.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add the cardamom.
- Add a third of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and fold lightly.
- Add the liquid, and fold gently.
- Repeat until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the cake batter into the cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when the cake is tested.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the STORK Bake in an electric mixer until pale and gradually add the icing sugar.
- Once the mixture is light and fluffy, add the nut butter and cocoa.
- Continue beating until the frosting is smooth and well combined. Add the cream and a few drops of black gel food colouring.
- Sandwich the cakes together with a third of the frosting.
- Cover the sides and top with the remaining third of the frosting.
- Refrigerate until the frosting sets and use the remaining icing to frost the cake again.
- Decorate the cake with edible gold leaf, crumbled burfee and toasted almonds.